THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF GEORGE N ROOT III

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Caleb Devin Book 2 - Trying Out The Interview Format

The entire Caleb Devin Chronicles started out with an idea to have an official interview transcript that involved an interview with a real space alien. I figured that there was an interview with a vampire, so why not a space alien? I just kind of took the idea from there and introduced our bad guy in Book 1. From there I released the interview transcript in Book 2.



After the release of Book 1, I started to realize that using an interview transcript format would be a risk because someone reported Book 1 to Amazon because I did not indent my paragraphs. I am fully prepared for another complaint about the format of Book 2, but I do put a warning in the description for Book 2 that it is not a typical book with all indented paragraphs.

Before I started writing Book 2, I actually did a ton of research on what is included in interview transcripts and what they look like. I learned that each company does transcripts differently, but there was a popular format they all used. Some companies include the material that was edited out of the interview in their transcripts, and some leave the edited material out. To give myself a chance at keeping some of the plot line of the overall story hidden, I decided to leave out edited material in my transcript.

I like the way Book 2 came out and I think it sets up the rest of the series very well. I tried to refrain from revealing too much of the story line in the narrative that follows the interview transcript, but I admit that I wound up putting in way more than I had intended. Still, the overall result was pretty good and I hope the audience likes it.

I am not sure when Book 3 will be coming out, but I can tell you that I have several aspects of the Caleb Devin Chronicles that I want to explore in depth in upcoming installments. I wish I could have just let this one follow its path naturally, but I kind of cheated and mapped the whole thing out right to the end. I hope everyone likes it and I hope you take the time to read books 1 and 2 and leave me some feedback.

Next up are a few projects that include a book with my dear friend Kevin McCarthy that I have been looking forward to starting for two years. Kev and I are both extremely excited about this project and I only hope that I can do it justice.

Thanks for your support and I hope to hear from you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment